Hau da nashasketa! Soinu lantegia = Hau da nahasketa! Taller de sonido = What a mix! Let´s record and mix sounds
This workshop will provide an initiation into the world of sound and more specifically, recording and mixing. Over the four-day course, participants will learn the bases of this process; what material is needed, how to use a recording (Cubase), sound capture and mixing program. The approach will be a practical one and designed for beginners. No prior knowledge of any kind is required.
The purpose of the workshop is to give a theoretical and practical grounding in sound processing. Participants will have a chance to learn and implement recording and mixing techniques and receive a basic technical language with which to communicate.
Some of the subjects covered include:
- Frequencies: equalizers, frequency ranges of different instruments, irritating frequencies, etc.
- Acoustics: acoustic processing, how to fit out a recording and mixing area, where to place studio monitors, reducing reverb in the room…
- The studio and its components: route of the audio signal, sound sources, sound boards, preamps, computer, wiring, software, etc.
- Introduction to the software: Steinberg’s Cubase program, its architecture and the basics for starting and ending a recording.
- Recording, editing and mixing: with help from a performer, participants will carry out a complete recording process from start to finish; recording, editing and mixing, using plugins.
The subjects are intended to provide basic guidance and the course will be adapted to the needs of the participants. While participants are doing their own mixing, we'll answer any queries they have about sound.
Image: CC-BY-2.0: Vancouver Film School